When the summer temperatures begin to rise, many party-givers start thinking about hosting barbecues. If you want to invite family and friends over to a gathering in your backyard that centers around your BBQ grill, make the evening a truly enjoyable event by following these tips.
Decide on a Theme
To make planning, decorating, and partying more fun, choose a theme before you even invite anyone. Some popular themes for barbecues are:
- A Hawaiian luau complete with Tiki torches and silk-flower leis.
- An old west motif complete with cowboy hats, grilled steaks, and baked beans.
- A surfers’ surf-and-turf party works especially well if you have a pool.
Send Out Invitations
You can send out emailed invites for a casual potluck, or paper invitations for a more formal gathering. Be sure to include all the party details your guests will need, such as:
- Date you’ll hold your party
- Time the BBQ will start, plus an end-time if you want to wrap it up at a specific hour
- What guests should bring, such as side dishes, drinks, lawn chairs, or meat to grill
- Who you’re inviting: adults, kids, dogs
- Alternate plan if it rains
Clean Your Grill
Since you’re in charge of barbecuing the meat and/or veggies, make sure your grill is clean and ready to use when your guests arrive. If you haven’t used your BBQ grill since last season, you might want to:
- Wash it off so it’s tidy and appetizing
- Dry it off so it won’t rust
- Oil it so foods don’t stick
Decorate Your Yard
First, make sure your yard is spruced up and looking its best. Mow the lawn, pull weeds, clean the pool, and then add some festive décor to your yard, such as:
- Twinkly lights
- Picnic tables
- Citronella candles
- Tiki torches
- Paper lanterns
Choose Your Music
What’s a party without music? Choose tunes that fit your theme or the season. You can program playlists into your computerized devices to provide the soundtrack for your party. Some great summer genres are:
- Southern soul
- 90’s hip-hop
- Upbeat pop classics
- Classic rock
Play Outdoor Games
Borrow, buy, or take your games out of storage for your backyard party. Cooking and eating are important aspects of an outdoor event, but games will make your guests laugh, bond, and remember your BBQ for summers to come. Some perfect choices are:
- Jump rope
Don’t Forget Dessert
What’s a meal without dessert? Don’t forget to include something yummy and festive like:
- Homemade ice cream
There are few better ways to celebrate summer than holding a BBQ gala in your backyard. Your guests will be delighted when you invite them to partake in such a well-planned outdoor feast.